CEP 882 Blog

A place to think, write and learn through out Spring of 2011 in CEP 882. I will post to this as often as I have a drive to sit down and write, it may or may not apply to this course specifically but every day events often find their way into our learning so I will use those throughout the term.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What Not to Teach?!

I have been thinking about this topic since last weekend and all I seem to come up with are the regular subjects in school like Math, History, Science. Then I watched Chandra's video for this week and I had a million other ideas pop into my head. Why can't there be a connection between different counseling and teaching skills? Any interaction in which one person is passing information on to a another person may need or could use a "makeover" in the WNTW fashion. Although I don't think I will do this type of transformation for my project I liked the idea a lot and I couldn't help but wonder if any one thinks to tell the customer service people of the world when they need an overhaul. Who's duty should it be to tell someone when they aren't doing a great job of passing along important information to the customer? After watching WNTW and Chandra's video I realized more than ever that it is our job as the customer to let the industry know they need to change something. This hit home more than ever today as I sat in a room full of unemployed citizens trying to get everything together so that we can collect unemployment in this terribly depressed economy. The woman at the front rambled on about why the iMatch Skills is so important and why her office can be so helpful. Of course none of us were listening any more because after she introduced herself she continued to ramble. She skipped from one topic to another with little interaction with the 25 people sitting in the room. Looking back on the experience I wish I had taken a minute to sit there with her and explain how she could make her product and presentation better for the future. Instead I did what many others did - finish my task as quickly as possible and get on my way back to other things in my day. I don't believe this is the right answer. Although confronting someone could bring about the completely wrong reaction I think it should be the appropriate action. It fits with my favorite quote that I do my best to live by - "Be the change you want to see in this world" (Ghandi). If we are the change, if we try to help an instructor be better, maybe it will become a snowball effect and society will grow as a whole. Just a thought for the week...


1 comment:

  1. Definitely. You could use the WNTW format and educate everyone, all walks of life. I, too, was thinking of taking a broader approach to my video project on What not to Teach. The idea can be broadly interpreted to all of life's "classrooms"- ideas as Fashion. Thanks for that, Sabrina V.!

    ReplyDelete